1994-08-22 - Cracking passwords and picking locks

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c7750e109b7784ce136d2acf93b43cd807c9d480099efbf07c80ec4641f3c51e
Message ID: <gate.8HwHRc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 12:59:12 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 12:59:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cracking passwords and picking locks

cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com (L. Todd Masco):
>>Data crime - 'cracking', 'phreaking' etc usually reflect a total lack of
>>responsibility on the part of _administrators_. "Officer, I left my wallet
>>on the kerb 10 minutes ago, and now it's gone!"
>
>This sounds like typical kiddie-cracker garbage.  It's more like, "Officer,
> I didn't know that master locks could be picked with the greatest of ease:
> arrest that man who picked it and took my wallet."
>[encryption is more complex than master locks etc]

I suppose it's obvious that I was not talking about the present, but future
information society, a world where digital signatures and encryption are as
familiar as combination locks and safes are today. I think it would be
reasonable to assume a fair degree of knowledge on security on the part of
system administrators - if by that time it's not widely known that plaintext
or simple protection (un-shadowed passwords etc) can, like master locks, be
'picked with ease,' then all our efforts towards greater awareness of
privacy and security would have failed.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh             "Clean the air! clean the sky! wash the wind!
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                   take stone from stone and wash them..."
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread