1994-08-07 - Re: e$: Cypherpunks Sell Concepts

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: Hal <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dfd37af79a93f3a18d56f9f1f9b5dde9e23638c2da3ee2e68418320deda68785
Message ID: <199408070251.WAA26419@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Aug 94 19:52:10 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 94 19:52:10 PDT
To: Hal <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: e$: Cypherpunks Sell Concepts

At  7:09 PM 8/6/94 -0700, Hal wrote:
>There are two legal problems that I could see being used against digital
>cash.  The first is the civil war era prohibition on banks issuing private
>bank notes.

Where you stand on this one depends on where you sit. ;-). It seems to me
that one could just as easily treat digicash as securities denominated in
dollars, just like shares in a money market mutual fund, or more to the
point, the actual money market instruments, repos, for instance. It's going
to take a sophistical titan to get this through the courts, but if there's
a market for digicash, hey, it can happen.  It won't happen if this titan's
employers never hear about it, though.

>The second problem is the regulation of "scrip" and barter systems.  This
>was pointed out on the list last year by someone who had actually been
>involved in a private barter or scrip system which was shut down by the
>government, at great cost to all concerned.  These regulations can be
>found at 26 CFR 1.6045-1.  From subsection (f)(5)(ii), "Scrip is a token
>issued by the barter exchange that is transferable from one member or
>client, of the barter exchange to another member or client, or to the
>barter exchange, in payment for property or services".  I think this one
>will eventually get the "NetBank" people in trouble.  (You call a 900
>number and in exchange for a charge on your phone bill they give you a
>digital token you can exchange for property or services by participating
>merchants.)  Barter exchanges are required to get the names and SS numbers
>of all participants and report their transactions to the IRS.  This would
>be inconsistent with the privacy we seek from ecash.

Indeed. This is probably where we have a problem.  The only thing I can
think of here is that the technology of the internet and it's limitless
opportunity for regulatory arbitrage.  When you make the possession of a
medium of exchange illegal you get the same problems that all closed
economies have.  With the internet, enforcement is half next to useless (an
expression I picked up in Albuquerque a while back...).  Like I said to
Eric in the last post, it may be the threat of regulatory arbitrage that
wins the day here, like it has in the past.

To plug the thread a bit here, who should chair the afternoon
business-heavy session? *Email* me your suggestions, please...

Cheers,
Robert Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread