1994-08-30 - Re: OFFSHORE DIGITAL BANKS

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Message Hash: dffb83e0718f31f5f62d03d82be357b793dfa5bf3afd47b513140c4bb6013edd
Message ID: <199408301912.MAA24822@netcom11.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9408301005.A26194-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-30 20:09:19 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 13:09:19 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 13:09:19 PDT
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Subject: Re: OFFSHORE DIGITAL BANKS

Sandy Sandfort writes:

> Your money in a Swiss based bank would be Swiss if that's what
> you wanted.  Almost certainly, you would have additional options
> for your "unit of accounting."
>
> Though US law might not help you, it is not true to say that "no
> one can ask the bank for records."  You can.  The proof that a
> transaction (such as a deposit) took place, is the digitally
> signed receipt you get from the bank.  It is VERY good proof.

My reading of the situation (Mooney's "Capital Protection" or
somesuch--book not handy to me as I write) is that the Swiss-based
banks will disclose records under several circumstances, and may be
required to under Swiss law. These circumstances included evidence the
account involves fraud, embezzlement, theft, etc.

As I understand things at this instant, the Swiss don't recognize "tax
evasion" in another country as an adequate reason to break
bank-customer secrecy, but discussions are underway with the
"enforcers" from the U.S., and many analysts predict that Switzerland
will capitulate on this point as well.

I gather that the Swiss bankers are not to happy with this extension
of the "New World Order" into their vaults, as other countries which
have not yet been "persuaded" to play ball with the U.S. are taking
more of the accounts which otherwise would've gone into Switzerland.
(Austria, Liechtenstein, etc., plus places like Isle of Man, Caymans,
etc.)

The link with crypto is an important one: with the loss of the
U.S.S.R. as a superpower, the world is "unipolar" in terms of real
superpower force. The U.S. can throw its weight around, encouraging
compliance with U.S. polices in most areas. Everything from abortion
policy to banking secrecy laws to key escrow.

(I'm not saying the U.S. threatens force against, say, Luxembourg or
Italy, just that the pressures to go along with the U.S. New World
Order are strong. The latest scare tactic is the proliferation of
nukes, which I suspect will be the instigator of a global N.E.S.T.
commando group. (The Nuclear Emergency Search Team, currently based in
Las Vegas, has C-5 cargo planes ready to fly teams of searchers,
commandoes, etc., to any place in the U.S. where a nuclear bomb is
suspected of being.))

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero