1994-08-19 - NSA spy machine (correction)

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e006ae199fd979c6db1111083a6a0800a2bbc1355a2c644b4fe6833834ce3475
Message ID: <199408190006.UAA29430@pipe3.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 17:07:29 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 17:07:29 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NSA spy machine (correction)

Hold on, I misquoted Tim's suggestion on the SMPP in my earlier
post.

This corrects it.

-------------------
Tim posted a few days ago:

I was intrigued by this disappearance, so I sent an e-mail
message to  Gunter Ahrendt. Through the joys of time zones, my
message this evening was  answered within minutes, from
Australia.

He told me the NSA machine remains, though it has been renamed,
has been  put under another site, and its performance rating
has been recalculated  based on a new metric. Gunter's latest
report (in comp.sys.super) explains  the new metric.

Grepping for the name "SMPP," here's where I found it:

58) 16.46 - (APR-1994) [SRC]
        Supercomputing Research
Center,Bowie,Maryland,US,root@super.org

        1) Cray 3/4-128 [-4Q96]           11.46?
        2) SRC Terasys                  ~  5
        3) SRC SMPP-4/2M [+4Q96]         503.33?

This is also very intriguing. The machine formerly called the
"NSA  SMPP-2/2M" and expected to be located at NSA Central
Security Service, is  now to be located in nearby Bowie at the
Supercomputing Research Center.

End Tim ----------------------------

The NY Times says (in a business report):

"The new Cray computer will be a hybrid design called the Cray
3/Super Scalable System.  It will link two supercomputer
processors with an array of chips containing half a million
inexpensive processors that were designed by a Government
laboratory connected with the NSA.

* * *

The Cray 3 supercomputer, two years late to market when it
appeared last year, has not yet found a customer, and Cray
executives said they were pinning their hopes for survival on
the Cray 4, due to be completed in the first quarter of next
year."

End Times ----------------------------

Does Gunter's "SRC SMPP-4/2M" = "hybrid design" as Tim suggests
today?

How do the numbers compare to Peter's?

On another point, then, does today's contract report merely
tell an out-of-date story, and if so, why?

A way to keep Cray afloat?  If so, why not Thinking Machines?

Mr. Cray has been a loyal NSA supplier for many years, perhaps
this is for his well-earned retirement.  Okay by me.  Maybe
then he can afford to share all his supercomp secrets.

John

Thread