1994-08-02 - Majordomo and Julf’s remailer

Header Data

From: Philippe Nave <pdn@msmail.dr.att.com>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: e734384c6b2d56b4d1a503c35d606b80f9e444b23e6223db36faad749ed1963c
Message ID: <2E3E9DE5@mspost.dr.att.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 12:28:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Philippe Nave <pdn@msmail.dr.att.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 12:28:25 PDT
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Majordomo and Julf's remailer

Assumption: (maybe incorrect, but what the hell..)
The trouble with having an anonymous penet subscriber on the list
is due to the fact that cypherpunks messages appear to be 'from'
the individual that posted the message as opposed to the list
itself. Thus, when I post a message and it goes out to the list,
it heads out to anxxx@penet.fi and generates an anon ID if I didn't
have one before.

If this is the case, is there any way to change the setup of the
cypherpunks list on toad.com such that the list messages appear
to be 'from' cypherpunks@toad.com instead of from the person
who sent the message? If we got another anxxx subscriber, penet.fi
would start seeing hundreds of messages from 'cypherpunks@toad.com'
and probably generate an anonymous ID, but it wouldn't foul up the
original poster.

I'm not advocating majordomo code changes here; I just wonder if
there's an option setting that could be tweaked in the cypherpunks
list definition. I have been on mailing lists before where the
traffic always appeared to be 'from' the list, and the only thing
odd about it was that you had to CC: the author to send a direct
reply.

If this idea is all wet, so be it... it just occurred to me this
morning.

   -Philippe

Thread