1994-08-24 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: Mikolaj Habryn <dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
To: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Message Hash: f504400aca01c4859e4b828125db461df005f5077c53f2e47ac1c6e3ba9c47c0
Message ID: <199408240215.KAA22862@lethe.uwa.edu.au>
Reply To: <m0qczBi-0009z1C@sdwsys>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-24 02:17:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 19:17:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Mikolaj Habryn <dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 19:17:57 PDT
To: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

> Fusion bombs I thought used tritium as fuel and needed a Plutonium
> trigger or something.  They are supposedly set off with some kind of
> inner mirrored ball with high powered lasers.  Fission then fusion I
> believe.

	The plutonium trigger is set off using conventional explosives
to implode a hollow sphere of the material. While this technique is
superficially similar to the gun-type triggering used by U-235 fuelled
bombs, the geometry prevents the Pu-239 from fissioning prematurely.
	The tritium is used as a neutron source - it releases neutrons
when sufficiently motivated to do so.

--
*       *       Mikolaj J. Habryn
                dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au