1994-08-02 - Re: Children and the Net

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ffadf0e70d108a670c9d0d3852eb23b47a7d5af1d11a1e35caf12b9a3996a726
Message ID: <199408021430.HAA02313@netcom14.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199408021356.IAA19569@audumla.students.wisc.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-02 14:30:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 07:30:54 PDT

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 07:30:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Children and the Net

> First of all, what does this have to do with crypto..

Absolutely nothing.

> At 06:29 8/2/94 -0700, Mike Duvos wrote:
> >The behavior of the Branch Davidians towards their children is well
> >documented, both by child welfare workers in Texas and by sworn
> >testimony of former members.

> Apparently this is your (presently unsubstantiated) opinion.  How about
> some references that don't involve ATF employee testimonys?

I wasn't aware that child welfare workers and former Branch Davidians
were members of the ATF.

> >The Branch Davidians were proclaimed "cleared" of charges of child
> >abuse by Texas authorities in the presense of physical evidence which
> >would have been considered abuse in most other states.

> In many places, spanking a child (with restraint and compassion, as a
> parent) is considered child abuse, so I suppose this statement could be
> considered true.

One mother reported that Koresh ordered her to spank her one year
old baby with a wooden paddle and wouldn't let her stop until the
child was bleeding.  This was because the child had cried while
Koresh was giving a sermon.  I see no "restraint" or "compassion" here.

> While I don't share the Davidians religious beliefs, I'd like to see more
> evidence that the ATF was justified in their assault.

The ATF was completely unjustified in their assault.  That, of course,
does not refute any of the charges that the Branch Davidians were not
particularly nice to the younger members of their congregation.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread