1994-09-28 - Re: Anyone seen the ‘quantum cryptanalysis’ thread on sci.crypt?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rschp2.anu.edu.au>
Message Hash: 030da8b305de5c7c738d3dabc46e339029c6f244c6687b41aee81c0040d55dae
Message ID: <9409281511.AA25850@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9409280734.AA12090@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-28 15:12:02 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 08:12:02 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 08:12:02 PDT
To: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rschp2.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the 'quantum cryptanalysis' thread on sci.crypt?

Sherry Mayo says:
> Detractors of the proposed technique say problems of noise and sensitivity
> to mechanical defects are insurmountable and the technique could never work.

I generally speaking am leery of arguments from how well manufacturing
can be done -- especially since manufacturing might someday be done
perfectly using things like nanotechnology or even primitive
percursors like placing your atoms for your quantum dots one by one
using atomic force microscope tips (our own Tim May once proposed
constructing scanning grids of such tips for such purposes.)

On the other hand, I've still yet to hear any good commentary on what
Shor's result really is and what sort of techniques it depends on.

> ps if anyone is interested I'll try and dig out the references.

Please do

Perry

Thread