1994-09-30 - Re: Mandatory Email verification

Header Data

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
To: macorp!moonlight!ken@uu4.psi.com (Ken Landaiche)
Message Hash: 2d406941b9a1ce93aa2e7ed46aeae19d69d256307c30418a7cd1486c3d2cf7dd
Message ID: <199409301943.OAA18710@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <9409301808.AA04195@moonlight.noname>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-30 19:43:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 12:43:37 PDT

Raw message

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 12:43:37 PDT
To: macorp!moonlight!ken@uu4.psi.com (Ken Landaiche)
Subject: Re: Mandatory Email verification

Ken Landaiche:

> I've been vaguely following the thread, which seems to be attempting to
> close a loophole in port 25. Assuming you succeeded, wouldn't a clever
> demon hacker simply find another way to forge messages?

Probably.  The only thing this would do is make forging a mail message a
non-trivial operation.  It in no way makes forging an email message
impossible, it just makes it a little bit harder than telneting to the smtp
port.

> This
> leads me to believe that eventually we will have to begin acting on our
> honor, and provide severe consequences for dishonorable behavior.

Like what?  When identity is "weak" then honor has no meaning...

jim

Thread