1994-09-21 - Re: Laws Outside the U.S. (fwd)Re: Laws Outside the U.S.

Header Data

From: nobody@kaiwan.com (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5e9720e7dce68949c2dd675984873e3d4be7ad30cd9ed2c8c97be507569a8690
Message ID: <199409212032.NAA00188@kaiwan.kaiwan.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 13:32:46 PDT

Raw message

From: nobody@kaiwan.com (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 13:32:46 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Laws Outside the U.S. (fwd)Re: Laws Outside the U.S.

|Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 10:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
|From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
|To: Hadmut Danisch <danisch@ira.uka.de>
|Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
|Subject: Re: Laws Outside the U.S.

|Hadmut Danisch writes:

|>                                     The EC forces their countries to
|> equalize their laws in the sense of "what you can do in one country,
> you can do everywhere".

|> If France forbids the import of crypto software, but allows to sell it
|> inside of France, then I can sue France, because the french programmer
|> can sell his programs in France and I can't.

|Isn't it inevitable that this will -- for the same reasons of equity
|among the member countries -- evolve into a single set of laws governing
|the *use* of crypto throughout the EC?

Free movement of goods rules in the EC contain exceptions for public
order and national security. National rules control in those areas.

SOLONg

Thread