1994-09-06 - Re: How Did This Get Done?

Header Data

From: Subversive Citizen Unit <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: nobody@shell.portal.com
Message Hash: 627540937c11c433c332b49611a1639ef6db616e3590a8170c80b84badcabc66
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9409061325.D8583-a100000@jaguar.zoo.cs.yale.edu>
Reply To: <199409061446.HAA19128@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-06 17:13:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 10:13:40 PDT

Raw message

From: Subversive Citizen Unit <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 10:13:40 PDT
To: nobody@shell.portal.com
Subject: Re: How Did This Get Done?

> > How the hell did the poster "customize" his address to ...ummm...fit the
> > post???
>
> not hard at all...by telnetting in to port 25 of a system on the net, you
> can talk directly to that systems sendmail...mail is passed in ascii
> format...few systems require a HELO (identifying the system telnetting
> in)...then you simply type in the mail headers manually...combine this
> with the fact that some systems let you post to usenet by email, and you
> can do just about anything and be untraceable (i think, anyone know for
> sure?)...

Well you can do it this way by using a mail to news gateway, as for
tracibility, this is quite tracible.  Remember all you have to do is have
a log of all incoming telnet sessions and a log at the home machine of all
out going telnet sessions and you're easily paired up with it.

That's one of the ways, some stupid fool got caught mailing a death threat
to the president using forged mail from 'never.gonna.catch.me.org'

Ben.

Thread