1994-09-19 - Re: Copyright enforcement through crypto

Header Data

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9881c52c1b37666864fa4c053a0aec5b8d6b60f6a9215914b8ca53b0f3fe6fdc
Message ID: <9409192306.AA14497@mycroft.rand.org>
Reply To: <m0qmnoZ-0009tFC@sdwsys>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-19 23:07:19 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 16:07:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 16:07:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Copyright enforcement through crypto

> sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams) writes:
> I'd like to explore the technical problems of enforcing copyright
> restrictions through encryption and custom viewing software.

> What I have in mind is a viewer... goal ... is ... one time... viewing of a
> downloaded document...

If it displays on my current screen and PC, I can capture it with some
other software.  William Gibson's book "Agrippa" was tried this way (sort
of) and it didn't take long for it to get captured and posted.

If it uses some special-purpose hardware, it'll need to compete with existing
services: cable, rental laserdisks, and so on, and then I'll decide whether
to trade in my current computer and buy it.  I don't see the niche so far.

Thread