1994-09-02 - Re: Government and Repression

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: ianf@simple.sydney.sgi.com
Message Hash: afb3bf4f8fef69d9b84f95c20ed4b50a8743a833c5588b7e067c7cb5a51e26cc
Message ID: <199409020027.UAA17306@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Sep 94 17:27:46 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 94 17:27:46 PDT
To: ianf@simple.sydney.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Government and Repression

Responding to msg by ianf@simple.sydney.sgi.com ("Ian
Farquhar") on Fri, 2 Sep  8:32 AM

>Of course, you've got to question whether capital
>punishment is _ever_  justified, and I would argue that
>it isn't.  This is way, way off the topic  of
>cypherpunks, and I don't intend to get into that
>discussion on this  forum.  I am very glad to live in a
>country which has signed international  conventions
>which prohibit it indulging in brutal and callous
>judicial  murder of a person, despite the occasional
>state government loony who  pines for the good old
>days.

An enlightened view like this is never off topic where nuclear
weapons and molten spray in tank hulls are chatted up with
relish.  State-mandated homicide gotta have its dehumanized
professionals to do the dirty work.

And your suggestion of giving kids the vote at an earlier age
adds sane countervalence to the

     parent /
     teacher /
     caseworker /