1994-09-22 - RE: Chomsky Arguments / Redefinitions

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: jamesd@informix.com
Message Hash: ba50d92d44e9814747d5297939114ce15e3156e58055531456fc5780bd43ce22
Message ID: <9409222338.AA01059@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:37:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:37:06 PDT
To: jamesd@informix.com
Subject: RE: Chomsky Arguments / Redefinitions

From: James Donald

But Chomsky defines peoples free choice to say one thing rather
than another thing, to listen to one source rather than another
source, to be "extreme coercion and control".

With this definition, it obviously follows that exterminating
those who engage in "extreme coercion and control" is an act
of self defence.
                         . . . . . .
In the same way, when Chomsky argues that speech is coercion, and choice
is submission, I know that he and his pals in the government are planning
to enhance our civil liberties by protecting us from that speech, and
to enhance our lives by rescuing us from that submission.

I haven't read Chomsky and have limited acquaintance with the labor
theory of value, but I can appreciate the games people can play with
torturing definitions to mean other than what is usually understood,
until it isn't possible to recognize them.

I can't know if what you are saying about him is true, but I must say,
you indicate well the things which it is important to pay attention to
when someone prepares an intellectual pathway by means of the
re-definition of the meanings of acts.

If that is what he does, I would be suspicious, too.

Blanc

Thread