1994-09-15 - e$: Multi-Industry Coalition Framework - NII (fwd)

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb0137ca046c276aaeab7e8262a9243991616870acc92438d8df948e4e2b72be
Message ID: <199409151828.OAA18852@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 11:30:39 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 11:30:39 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: e$: Multi-Industry Coalition Framework - NII (fwd)

Thought you folks would want to see this...

>PRESS RELEASE
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE REALEASE  CONTACT: Charles N. Brownstein
>September 12, 1994       703-620-8990
>
>MULTI-INDUSTRY COALITION SETS TECHNICAL FRAMEWORK
>FOR THE NATIONAL INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE
>

>Washington, D.C. -- Today, more than forty leading communications,
>computing, and services companies proposed a consensus vision of the
>architecture required for tomorrow's information superhighway. In addition,
>the Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT) members detailed an example of a key
>component of the National Information Infrastructure (NII) - digital cash.
>
>The two white papers, 1) An Architectural Framework for the NII  and 2)
>Digital Cash, Tokens and Payments in the NII, will be presented to the
>President's NII Advisory Committee tomorrow at its meeting in New York.
>
>"These papers provide a technical vision and goals for the NII that cut
>across a range of industries," said Robert Kahn, President of CNRI and
>chair of the XIWT Executive Committee. "They provide a common foundation
>for thinking about the objectives and technical requirements of the NII."
>
>In its Architecture paper, XIWT calls for an NII that promotes
>interoperability and provides universal access, privacy, protection,
>intellectual property, security, job creation and commerce in a competitive
>business environment. Based on these objectives, XIWT defines the NII in
>terms of a Functional Services Framework -- a model used to characterize
>the NII by function and certain key characteristics.
>
>According to this model, the NII has three basic components: applications,
>enabling services, and physical infrastructure. Together, these components
>include all the NII's information and transporting machinery, the networked
>software tools that facilitate manipulation and movement of digital
>information, and the information processing activities of NII users.
>
>To meet the goals outlined for the NII, XIWT recommends that each of these
>components be addressed in terms of functionality (what it does), trust
>(the conditions under which it operates), and control (how it is managed).
>
>XIWT also provides a Reference Architecture Model for the NII -- a
>description of the system in terms of the interconnection of the functional
>elements of the system and the interfaces between them. XIWT identifies
>four functional elements: 1) appliances: 2) networks; 3) resources; and 4)
>control points. In addition, it identifies seven categories of interfaces
>and protocols needed to integrate these elements and make them
>interoperable.
>
>The Digital Cash report defines ways in which the NII will facilitate
>existing and new forms of commerce. "It describes the functional
>requirements and technical options for conducting everyday financial
>transactions in networked electronic settings with the ease and certainty
>of today's cash economy -- and with more security and control," said Dan
> [...]

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread