1994-09-18 - Re: terrorist FORTRESS SLEUTH remailers & FORTRESS lists

Header Data

From: “David M. Harvey I” <warrior@infinet.com>
To: Gary Jeffers <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
Message Hash: f4c37bae3cd0c7a9892c67b7ef6600c3568a43dd286a9d2a32008deef341468a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9409181027.E18980-0100000@rigel>
Reply To: <9409180039.AA08411@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-18 14:36:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 07:36:15 PDT

Raw message

From: "David M. Harvey I" <warrior@infinet.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 07:36:15 PDT
To: Gary Jeffers <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
Subject: Re: terrorist FORTRESS SLEUTH remailers & FORTRESS lists

On Sat, 17 Sep 1994, Gary Jeffers wrote:

> THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY & DOES NOT ADVOCATE BREAKING
> ANY LAWS.
>

>           TERRORIST FORTRESS SLEUTH REMAILERS & FORTRESS LISTS
>
>    Todd Masco makes a good point about sleuth remailers. For the last
> two issues of the CEB in chapter 7. Current problems in crypt, I have
> pointed out the need for them. I invented the name FORTRESS REMAILERS
> to describe them. I also invented the term FORTRESS MAILING LIST as
> well.
>
>    We are in a time window now. In a few years at most, remailers &
> lists like Cypherpunks & newsgroups like Sci.crypt may be outlawed.
> We may then have two of our most important communications tools taken
> away from us in our development of electronic communications privacy
> tools. Some will infer from this that if they want secure Internet
> communications, then they had better start writing in a hurry. The
> State has not consolidated its power enough yet to take away these
> "privileges". When they do, these will seem like the good old
> careless days of privacy building & possibly even seem like an historic
> anomaly. Privacy Freedom Fighters of the future may feel very grateful
> to today's Cypherpunks for writing FORTRESS remailers, lists, &
> newsgroups so that may continue their work.
>
>    ON THE MATTER OF SECURITY THRU OBSCURITY
>    I think that the idea of security thru obscurity is much like having
> a strong crypt system that is handicapped by allowing only one password.
> The method is limited from becoming popular due to the fact that
> popularity would likely disclose the key & then make the system         s
> dangerous & useless. Possibly, disastrous to all using it. Due to that
> reason, FORTRESS REMAILERS & FORTRESS LISTS & NEWSGROUPS would have to
> avoid security thru obscurity.
>
>    It is hard to figure out how to do a FORTRESS remailer or list.
> Possibly, a WAN using radio communications as a starting point?
>                                                 SPECULATIVELY Yours,
>                                                 Gary Jeffers

I am a novice, but in discussing some of the issues, i.e.; wiretap bill
with my dad, Col (ret) from the Green Berets, he said we would have to
return to short wave, if this happens.  Imangine pgp shortwave!  Of
course, they would have to be mobile to evade trangulation or satellite
pin pointing of transmission, which isn't yet available, will be some
day. Some advice from a guerilla warfare fighter...

Dave
___
|No Guts, No Glory, No Honor, No Victory, Pillage, Plunder, and Take Heads!|
| Dave M. Harvey                            PGP 2.61 Public Key available. |
| PO Box 151311              	            Finger warrior@infinet.com.us  |
| Columbus, OH 43215-8311    	            dharvey@freenet.columbus.oh.us |

Thread