1994-10-06 - IRC Encryption

Header Data

From: prig0011@gold.tc.umn.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f82da2b8782cecf8ee77f6c19873e96b5e6c7fff11447b642be26d609c3a759
Message ID: <2e9376864430002@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 21:43:03 PDT

Raw message

From: prig0011@gold.tc.umn.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 21:43:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: IRC Encryption

There was a thread a while back about encrypted conversations on channel
#freedom on irc. I came across the software I believe they are using. Its
a package called Circ, and it is available from archives of
comp.sources.misc volume 38 issue 10. It is interesting in that it uses
RSA for key exchange, and triple DES for the encryption. The Circ package
includes an earlier implementation "socks" which is a stand alone
encrypted irc client. I think this is what they use on #freedom. This is
an interesting tool for a couple of reasons. irc can be as anonymous as
you want to make it. There are ways of hiding what site you're coming
from, your real username, you can change your nick often as you want, and
it's got a high enough usage that you can lose yourself in a crowd.
It supports background file transfers. You can create a channel and lock
it to uninvited people. It is supported pretty much net-wide, if you can
telnet, you can irc. Interesting stuff, and I'll be playing more with it
in the near future.

BTW: my nick is cryptical on irc. :)

Thread