1994-10-07 - data havens (again)

Header Data

From: “Douglas R. Floyd” <dfloyd@paris.eng.utsa.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c29ec62e46eeb291a7e3f29ff95013003333f7ee73d3d45df0df2fa0074bbba
Message ID: <9410061943.ZM5478@paris.eng.utsa.edu>
Reply To: <199410061109.GAA24320@chaos.bsu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-07 00:41:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 17:41:21 PDT

Raw message

From: "Douglas R. Floyd" <dfloyd@paris.eng.utsa.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 17:41:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: data havens (again)

On Oct 6,  6:09am, Anonymous wrote:

[Sacrificed to the Great God Bandwidth whose presence we kowtow to.]

> PS:  Doug, use cb.  Your code smells like a ten year old dead
> turkey with its looks.  At least its relatively bug-free, and
> does the job well.  Another thing, should you use SHA instead
> of MD5 for hashing?  SHA has more bits, and there is a less
> chance for two files to collide.

My code smells like that?  I didn't think C code smelled...

2^128 and 2^150+ are big numbers.  I doubt that any collisions
will occur.

Another thing...  I do like Eric's idea for an entropy checker.  Is there
any code like this laying around on some ftp site?  Keep poor VK from
worrying about his account...

Thread