1994-11-22 - A Chance Encounter with Brad Templeton, of ClariNet

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 1cca672ea09a84a0636b41aaf1bc84c9054ceecdbf6d2bd7c7f05b3282736863
Message ID: <9411221330.AA18966@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.941121154516.28739B-100000@grin.io.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-22 13:33:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 05:33:50 PST

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 05:33:50 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: A Chance Encounter with Brad Templeton, of ClariNet

Timothy C. May writes:
 > So, not a cause for panic, as he will probably do nothing.

I agree that panic is uncalled for, but I don't agree that he will
probably do nothing.  Eventually, Mr. Templeton or someone in a
similar position is certain to "do something"; this is an inevitable
result of the clash between traditional (since the 16th century,
anyway) views of copyright and what "we" think of the
meaning(lessness) of copyright in an online digital world.

Put yourself in his place.  Mr. Templeton's attitude makes perfect
sense.  The entire fabric of his business is based upon
state-supported protection of the "property" that's his stock in
trade.  I would think very little of him as a businessperson were he
to simple roll over and give up.

Indeed, it might actually be advantageous for the "something" to
happen sooner rather than later; clumsy attacks on freedom of
electronic communication could backfire, resulting in favorable (to
e-freedom) judgements that would stand as precedent later on.

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread