1994-11-30 - Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cactus@bb.hks.net (L. Todd Masco)
Message Hash: 21ed8357dae45fed88bd3dba08603621358e3c9b5794cac65b9faad468527103
Message ID: <9411302052.AA00844@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <3bio0m$ojh@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-30 20:53:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 12:53:01 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 12:53:01 PST
To: cactus@bb.hks.net (L. Todd Masco)
Subject: Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

L. Todd Masco says:
> In article <199411301931.LAA02490@netcom8.netcom.com>,
> James A. Donald <jamesd@netcom.com> wrote:
> >*Relevant* precedent and custom indicate that the list is Erics
> >private property, and he may do as he pleases, wisely or unwisely.
>
> Not true.  The more "social" a list is, the less it is considered
> any individual's property.

Eric can turn the list on and off at will. By my lights, that gives
him control, and thus a proprietary interest, i.e. the list is his
property. You may be correct that it would be foolish of him to annoy
people, just as if you have houseguests it is foolish to suddenly say
"if you want to stay in this house you have to pierce your genitals
NOW!". It is none the less his right to annoy people if he wants to,
however, just as it is your right to demand anything of your
houseguests as a condition of their remaining in your home. They, of
course, are under no obligation to decide to remain....

Perry

Thread