1994-11-30 - Economist’s Dash for E-cash

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4796a270cff127d0c182bd0c9ff556d7782992f75eef77a41930793beacb9229
Message ID: <gate.6NNmwc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 07:49:09 PST

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 07:49:09 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Economist's Dash for E-cash

I've been away for a couple of days so I don't know if this has come up
already, but...
The Economist has proven yet again my firm belief that it's the most wired
magazine around. In a special report on e-cash in the latest issue, it
presents a lucid description of the pros and cons of different digicash,
including Chaum. It then goes on to discuss in detail how e-cash could work,
how it would be backed by real money and therefore not earn interest, how
governments might get worried by the development of implicit currency markets
beyond their control, how eventually e-cash might become an independent
currency with no 'real' value, hinting at my outline of 'cooking-pot' markets
in Electric Dreams #37.

ObHeeHee: an article on the anti-DWEM backlash against Shakespeare
quotes Gary Taylor, editor of the Oxford Shakespeare, as saying that
"Shakespeare helped murder" Nicole Simpson. Why? The play Othello "makes a
wife-murderer not only tragic but also, pervesely, heroic."
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh             "Clean the air! clean the sky! wash the wind!
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                   take stone from stone and wash them..."
rishab@arbornet.org
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread