1994-11-29 - Re: PGP Enhanced Messaging (PEM)

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: rfb@CMU.EDU
Message Hash: 5c58763d32849158d0b2ca9350ae456d467a66d979a964a7932a1fe99ad26d57
Message ID: <199411291727.MAA00226@walker.bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <9411291643.AA26270@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-29 17:27:41 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 09:27:41 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 09:27:41 PST
To: rfb@CMU.EDU
Subject: Re: PGP Enhanced Messaging (PEM)

You wrote:

| PGP Enhanced Messaging (PEM) should not be confused with the Privacy
| Enhanced Mail standard (PEM).  Information on integrating PEM into
| your GNU Emacs environment is included at the end of this file.

	There is enough FUD in the crypto buisness already.  Why
enhance it by using another name, already in use, that refers to a
similar*, but competing set of standards?

Adam

* By similar, I mean that both PEM's are cryptographic solutions for
privacy & authentication, rather than one being a routing protocol,
the other a security package.

						       -Hume

Thread