1994-11-18 - Re: Islands in the Net

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 62347a8881c527c65a565f74f18fa15f8446439d9925a1e930cb5583b9d9041d
Message ID: <199411180739.XAA20067@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Reply To: <9411172229.AA01226@ch1d157nwk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-18 07:40:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 23:40:23 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 23:40:23 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Islands in the Net

Andrew Lowenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com> writes:

>What if remailers were implemented using 'agents'?  Instead of me sending a
>dumb message to a smart remailer, what if I could send smart remailer, with
>an encrypted message embedded in it, to a friendly machine offering agents
>access to SMTP (i.e. a machine that allowed any authorized agent to arrive
>and initiate an outgoing tcp stream to the SMTP port of any other machine).
>Now I can make my remailer system as convoluted as I want, simply by
>programming this agent to cruise around machines that answer when it knocks.
>Once it has moved between enough hosts, it moves to a host that offers
>outgoing SMTP connections and delivers it's payload.  No longer am I limited
>by the time and effort of the remailer operators to implement fancy new
>features.  Any machine that gives access to my agent becomes another hop in
>my remailer chain (or whatever purpose I want).  All my remailer agent needs
>to operate is one host, the final destination, that will let it make an
>outgoing SMTP connection, which could be provided by the hosts currently
>running remailers.

Yes, I think as Tim mentioned that safe-tcl is a possible way to go here.
You could really do a lot of what Telescript promises with safe-tcl, and
it is completely open and non-proprietary so anybody could run a server.

Basically, safe-tcl is a limited subset of the tcl scripting language
designed to allow "active mail", which can contain programs to run either
at the time the mail is put into your mailbox or at the time you read it.
Most of their interest is in the latter, because since tcl is married to
the X scripting package tk, you can actually have an incoming mail
message which puts up its own X dialog boxes, etc.  Somebody wrote a
sample mail-based tictactoe game, where you click in a box and it
automatically sends an appropriate program to the other player which will
put up the game board and let him click, etc.  Imagine this for crypto
protocols.

But, back to the remailers, as Andrew says this agent-based or "active"
mail provides a whole new paradigm for viewing remailers.  Rather than
being this anarchic threat to the net as they are often pasted, they are
simply one of a wide class of servers.  If we can move to a model in
which semi-autonomous agents do surf the net, then remailers become just
a small part of a much bigger picture.  I may allow incoming agents to
use various resources on my machine, including the mail facilities.  A
remailer is then just a server which does not enforce a lot of
state information on outgoing messages to record their incoming path.

I suppose the thing to watch for here will be efforts on the part of
net.control freaks to force agents to be carefully authenticated,
regulated, ordered and tracked.  Just as the mail specs (RFC822)
emphasize the importance of a human owner of every piece of mail so you
have someone to complain to, similar motivations may play a part in
future specs for active mail and similar extensions.  This is going to be
a continual battle which we will have to be ready for.

Hal

Thread