1994-11-30 - Where to get PGP (short version)

Header Data

From: Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6dbd412f1751dbe725a3761d8ad8104ddb9971e503786eb9be8fd394cabf6559
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9411301022.A14017-0100000@netcom19>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 10:08:24 PST

Raw message

From: Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 10:08:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Where to get PGP (short version)

===============================BEGIN SIGNED TEXT=============================

WHERE TO GET THE PRETTY GOOD PRIVACY PROGRAM (PGP) -- ABRIDGED VERSION
(Last modified: 30 November 1994 by Mike Johnson)

WHAT IS THE LATEST VERSION?

 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | Platform(s)     | Latest Version      | Distribution File Names         |
 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | DOS, Unix,      | Viacrypt PGP 2.7    | disk sets                       |
 | Mac, Windows,   |                     |                                 |
 | or WinCIM/CSNav |                     |                                 |
 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | DOS, Unix,      | MIT PGP 2.6.2       | pgp262.zip  (DOS + docs)        |
 | others          |                     | pgp262s.zip (source)            |
 |                 |                     | pg262s.zip source on CompuServe |
 |                 |                     | pgp262.tar.gz (source)          |
 |                 |                     | pgp262.gz (same as above on DOS)|
 |                 |                     | pgp262.tar.Z (source)           |
 |                 |                     | pgp262dc.zip (documentation)    |
 |                 |                     | pg262d.zip (docs on CompuServe) |
 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | Macintosh       | MIT PGP 2.6         | MacPGP2.6.sea.hqx (binary+docs) |
 |                 |                     | macpgp26.hqx (same as above)    |
 |                 |                     | MacPGP2.6.src.sea.hqx (source)  |
 |                 |                     | macpgp26.src (same as above)    |
 |                 |                     | MacPGP2.6-68000.sea.hqx (binary)|
 |                 |                     | mcpgp268.hqx (same as above)    |
 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | Amiga           | PGP 2.6.2 Amiga 1.4 | pgp262-a14-000.lha              |
 |                 |                     | pgp262-a14-020.lha              |
 |                 |                     | pgp262-a14-src.lha              |
 |-----------------+---------------------+---------------------------------|
 | Non-USA version | PGP 2.6.i from      | pgp26i.zip                      |
 | to avoid RSAREF | Stale Schumacher    | pgp26is.zip                     |
 | license.        |                     | pgp26is.tar.gz                  |
 |_________________|_____________________|_________________________________|

WHERE CAN I GET VIACRYPT PGP?

If you are a commercial user of PGP in the USA or Canada, contact Viacrypt in
Phoenix, Arizona, USA.  The commecial version of PGP is fully licensed to use
the patented RSA and IDEA encryption algorithms in commercial applications,
and may be used in corporate and government environments in the USA and
Canada.  It is fully compatible with, functionally the same as, and just as
strong as the freeware version of PGP.

Orders may be placed by calling 800-536-2664 during the hours of 8:30am to
5:00pm MST, Monday - Friday.  They accept VISA, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover
credit cards.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact viacrypt@acm.org.

WHERE CAN I GET THE FREEWARE PGP?

There are several ways to get the freeware PGP:  ftp, WWW, BBS, CompuServe,
email ftp server, and sneakernet (ask a friend for a copy).  Just don't ask
Philip Zimmermann directly for a copy.

FTP SITES IN NORTH AMERICA

Telnet to net-dist.mit.edu, log in as getpgp, answer the questions, then ftp
to net-dist.mit.edu and change to the hidden directory named in the telnet
session to get your own copy.

MIT-PGP is for U. S. and Canadian use only, but MIT is only distributing it
within the USA (due to some archaic export control laws).

1.  Read ftp://net-dist.mit.edu/pub/PGP/mitlicen.txt and agree to it.
2.  Read ftp://net-dist.mit.edu/pub/PGP/rsalicen.txt and agree to it.
3.  Telnet to net-dist.mit.edu and log in as getpgp.
4.  Answer the questions and write down the directory name listed.
5.  QUICKLY end the telnet session with ^C and ftp to the indicated directory
    on net-dist.mit.edu (something like /pub/PGP/dist/U.S.-only-????) and get
    the distribution files (see the above chart for names).
    If the hidden directory name is invalid, start over at step 3, above.

You can also get PGP from:

ftp.csn.net/mpj
    ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/I_will_not_export/crypto_???????/pgp/
    See ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/README.MPJ for the ???????

ftp.csua.berkeley.edu (for U. S. or Canadian users)
    /pub/cypherpunks/pgp/

ftp.wimsey.bc.ca
    /pub/crypto/software/dist/US_or_Canada_only_XXXXXXX/PGP
    (U. S. and Canadian users only)
    See /pub/crypto/software/README for the characters for XXXXXXXX

WORLD WIDE WEB ACCESS

    http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html
    http://www.ifi.uio.no/~staalesc/PGPVersions.html

COMPUSERVE

GO NCSAFORUM, see library 12.  Read the instructions there for access.

BULLETIN BOARD SYSTEMS

Colorado Catacombs BBS, Longmont, Colorado, USA (303) 772-1062

The Freedom Files BBS, DeLand Florida, USA  904-738-2691

Exec-Net, New York, NY, USA  (Host BBS for the ILink net)  914-667-4567

The Ferret BBS (North Little Rock, Arkansas)
    (501) 791-0124   also   (501) 791-0125
    Special PGP users account:
    login name: PGP USER
    password:   PGP

CVRC BBS  317-791-9617

CyberGold BBS 601-582-5748

Self-Governor Information Resource, El Paso, Texas, USA, 915-587-7888

In the UK, try 01273-688888

OTHER FTP SITES

    ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
      /pub/virus/crypt/pgp

    ftp.netcom.com
      /pub/dc/dcosenza -- Some crypto stuff, sometimes includes PGP.
      /pub/gb/gbe/pgpfaq.asc -- frequently asked questions answered.
      /pub/qw/qwerty -- How to MacPGP Guide, largest steganography ftp site as
                     well.  PGP FAQ, crypto FAQ, US Crypto Policy FAQ,
                     Steganograpy software list. MacUtilites for use with
                     MacPGP.  Stealth1.1 + other steganography programs.

    ftp.csua.berkeley.edu
      /pub/cypherpunks/pgp

Also, try an archie search.

FTPMAIL

You can get FTP files mailed to you.  Send a message saying "Help" to
ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com.  You will be sent an instruction sheet on how to use
the ftpmail service.

To get pgp 2.6.i by email:
  Send a message to hypnotech-request@ifi.uio.no with your request in the
  Subject: field.

  Subject             What you will get

  GET pgp26i.zip      MS-DOS executable (uuencoded)
  GET pgp26is.zip     MS-DOS source code (uuencoded)
  GET pgp26is.tar.gz  UNIX source code (uuencoded)

LANGUAGE MODULES

    German
     * _UK:_ ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/src/security/pgp_german.txt
     * _US:_ ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/public/pgp/PGP_german_docs.lha

    Italian
     * _IT:_
     ftp://ftp.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/PGP/pgp-lang.italian.tar.gz

    Japanese
     * _US:_ ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/public/pgp/pgp-msgs-japanese.tar.gz

    Lithuanian
     * _US:_ ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/public/pgp/pgp23ltk.zip

    Russian
     * _RU:_ ftp://ftp.kiae.su/unix/crypto/pgp/pgp26ru.zip (MIT version)
     * _RU:_ ftp://ftp.kiae.su/unix/crypto/pgp/pgp26uir.zip (ui version)

    Spanish
     * _IT:_
     ftp://ftp.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/PGP/pgp-lang.spanish.tar.gz
     * _US:_ ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/public/pgp/pgp-lang.spanish.tar.gz

    Swedish
     * _UK:_ ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/src/security/pgp_swedish.txt

WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE ABOUT EXPORT CONTROLS?

The U. S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations claim to prohibit export
of PGP from the USA without a license, except to Canada.  Canada has similar
rules.  Therefore, if you are outside of North America, please get your copy
of PGP from a site outside of North America.

WHAT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RESTRICTIONS EXIST IN THE USA?

MIT PGP is only for personal, noncommercial use because of restrictions on
the licensing of both the RSA algorithm (attached to RSAREF) and the IDEA
algorithm.  PKP/RSADSI insist that we use RSAREF instead of the mpi library
for reasons that make sense to them.

For commercial use, use Viacrypt PGP, which is fully licensed to use both the
RSA and IDEA algorithms in commercial and corporate environments (as well as
personal use, of course).

Another restriction is due to an exclusive marketing agreement between Philip
Zimmermann and Viacrypt that applies to the USA and Canada only.  Viacrypt
has exclusive rights to market PGP commercialy in this area of the world.
This means that if you want to market PGP commercially in competition with
Viacrypt in the USA or Canada, you would have to create a new implementation
of the functions of PGP containing none of Philip Zimmermann's copyrighted
code.  You are free to modify existing PGP code for your own use, as long as
you don't sell it.  Phil would also appreciate your checking with him before
you distribute any modified versions of PGP as freeware.

"PGP", "Pretty Good Privacy" and "Phil's Pretty Good Software" are trademarks
owned by Philip Zimmermann.  This means that if you modify an older version of
PGP that was issued under the copyleft license and distribute it without
Phil's permission, you have to call it something else.  This avoids confusing
all of us and protects Phil's good name.

WHAT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RESTRICTIONS EXIST IN CANADA?

MIT PGP is only for noncommercial use because of restrictions on the
licensing of the IDEA algorithm.  Because the RSA algorithm isn't patented in
Canada, you are free to use the mpi library instead of RSAREF, if you want
to, thus freeing yourself of the RSAREF license associated with the RSAREF
copyright, which is valid in Canada.

For commercial use, use Viacrypt PGP, which is fully licensed to use the IDEA
algorithm in commercial and corporate environments.

The exclusive marketing agreement with Viacrypt also applies in Canada.  See
the section on USA intellectual property restrictions for more details.

WHAT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RESTRICTIONS EXIST OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA?

MIT PGP is only for noncommercial in areas where there is a patent on
software implementations of the IDEA algorithm.  Because the RSA algorithm
isn't patented outside of the USA, you are free to use the mpi library
instead of RSAREF, if you want to, thus freeing yourself of the RSAREF
license restrictions.  The RSAREF copyright holds outside of the USA, even
though the RSA patent does not.

The IDEA conventional block cipher is covered by US Patent 5,214,703 and
European patent EP 0 482 154 B1.  IDEA is a trademark of Ascom-Tech AG.
Commercial users of IDEA (including commercial use of PGP) may obtain
licensing details from Ph. Baumann, Ascom Tech Ltd., IDEA Lizenz, Postfach
151, CH-4502 Solothurn, Switzerland, Tel ++41 65 242828, Fax ++41 65 242847.

WHAT IS COMMERCIAL USE?

Use some common sense.  If you are running a business and using PGP to
protect credit card numbers sent to you electronically, then you are using
PGP commercially.  Your customers, however, need not buy the commercial
version of PGP just to buy something from you, if that is the only commercial
use they make of PGP (since they are spending, not making, money with PGP).

If you are just encrypting love letters or other personal mail (for which you
don't get paid) on your own personal computer, that is not commercial.  If
you are encrypting official business mail on your for-profit corporation's
computer with PGP, that is commercial use.

Note that there are some gray areas not covered above, and the patent owners
of RSA and IDEA may differ from my interpretation in the areas not covered
above, so if you are in doubt, you should consider the licensing of Viacrypt
PGP (or outside of North America, direct licensing of IDEA) to be cheap legal
insurance.  Indeed, the license fee is probably a lot cheaper than a legal
opinion from a lawyer qualified to make such a judgement.  Note that I am not
a lawyer and the above is not legal advise.  Use it at your own risk.

MACPGP KIT

The MacPGP kit is a user interface for the Mac version of PGP.
ftp://duke.bwh.harvard.edu:/pub/adam/mcip/MacPGP_icons.sit.hqx
ftp://duke.bwh.harvard.edu:/pub/adam/mcip/MacPGPkit.hqx
ftp://duke.bwh.harvard.edu:/pub/adam/mcip/MacPGPkitSources.sit.hqx

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Permission is granted to distribute unmodified copies of this FAQ.

To get the longer version of this FAQ, get
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mp/mpj/getpgp.asc or send mail to
ftp-request@netcom.com with the line
SEND mp/mpj/getpgp.asc
in the body of the message.

There are many other frequently asked questions.  Most of them are covered in
the documentation that comes with PGP, and the few that aren't are addressed
in documents referenced above.

 | \/ |o|        | Michael Paul Johnson  Colorado Catacombs BBS 303-772-1062 |
 |    | | /  _   | mpj@csn.org aka mpj@netcom.com m.p.johnson@ieee.org       |
 |    |||/  /_\  | ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/README.MPJ          CIS: 71331,2332 |
 |    |||\  (    | ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mp/mpj/README   -. --- ----- ....|

Thread