1994-11-29 - Re: Transparent Email

Header Data

From: adam.philipp@ties.org (Adam Philipp)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 76e3c503d6f63b705671a24b6cf10939d85c66f8e93201254d6c110b7db1c408
Message ID: <m0rCPHT-0005UoC@powergrid.electriciti.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 01:55:58 PST

Raw message

From: adam.philipp@ties.org (Adam Philipp)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 01:55:58 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Transparent Email

>I think it's a bad idea to require signatures on the list, or even to
>penalize people who don't use them.  People aren't signing their posts
>because it's too much of a hassle to do it from a dial up, netcom style,
>account, not because they're insufficiently committed to the cause.
>
>The real solution is to try to build tools which will make it so easy to
>use crypto that there's simply no reason not to do it.

     I whole heartedly agree! Thank you Alex for pointing out the real issue.
ObPlug: (I am currently writing a handbook on what intellectual property law
can be used for when developing crypto systems, either to make a profit or
to keep them free from commercial entanglement.)
     Tomorrow (San Diego Cypherpunks meet at Hops) I was planning on asking
Phil Karn what Qualcomm was planning with Eudora as far as any PGP hooks, or
if we need to to get of our rear-ends and design a mail application that
will implement PGP for all the SLIP users on Windoze & MacN'trash systems.
     Sure there are those of us who can use LINUX and various scripts to
bring PGP into our mailers, but a well built app that would get PGP to the
lay people who want their privacy is needed. So, Cypherpunks write code.

     o Get off our collective asses and write something for:
          SLIP / PPP in windoze, mac, ( & warp?)

     o Make it free, widely available, and either stand alone, or compatible
          with Eudora.

     o Collectively demand that Qualcomm do something or else...

     o See if there are any software companies willing to take up the challenge.

     o Meanwhile, see what works for people... Create a contest for who has
the best system for ELM, PINE, EUDORA, etc...

     o What about windoze scripting? PCTools for windoze scripting? Other
scripts?

     I am willing to help, but I'm in the middle of Law school finals so any
help will be delayed...

     Adam

--
PGP Key available on the keyservers. Encrypted E-mail welcome.

SUB ROSA: Confidential, secret, not for publication.
           -Black's Law Dictionary

GJ/CS d H S:+ g? p? au+ a- w+ v++ c++ UL+ UU+ US+ P+ 3 E N++ k- W++ M-- V
po- Y++ t++ 5+ jx R G' tv+ b+++ D++ B--- E+++ u** h-- f++ r+ n+ y++--

Thread