1994-11-21 - Re: Admiral Inman

Header Data

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
To: jamiel@sybase.com (Jamie Lawrence)
Message Hash: 7f6cc7e26091ada9a075f606664b23182ec109f76f07f91c1a2fb7c966dd0a63
Message ID: <199411212314.AA23175@access2.digex.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 15:14:38 PST

Raw message

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 15:14:38 PST
To: jamiel@sybase.com (Jamie Lawrence)
Subject: Re: Admiral Inman

>>Inman was surprised by the looming introduction of VoicePGP, and said that
>>that would be a big problem
>
>I like the sound of this.

I've always assumed that the excitement behind the Digital Telephony
bill was to go after VoicePGP. My prediction is that the Internet
alone is legal but the Internet plus VoicePGP can't be deployed
without someone building in the wiretaps for the government. Since
no one owns the Internet and no one can add the wiretap ability,
then the Internet + VoicePGP will be verboten. Since they can't
very well ban the Internet, they'll just ban using VoicePGP on
public networks. But, you'll be free to use it in the privacy
of your own home. That's my latest paranoid thought.

-Peter

Thread