1994-11-30 - Re: Effects of Marking/Delaying Nonsigned Posts

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9309d54d41c1b9776e1d5ac4983e5b58ce96fa5cc2e713b3064fa1fd9ca299b5
Message ID: <199411302249.OAA11745@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <ab02634103021004dde2@[130.214.233.17]>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-30 21:50:59 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 13:50:59 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 13:50:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Effects of Marking/Delaying Nonsigned Posts

   From: jamiel@sybase.com (Jamie Lawrence)

   [...] delays will degrade
   the quality of discussion on the list (time lag for only some has
   a way fragmenting discussion, as anyone with a sometimes-slow link
   can attest).

If the delays remained entirely unexpected or random, quality would
degrade.  Humans, however, have an uncanny ability to modify their
own behavior.

I am also willing to risk a small amount of degradation to encourage
people to actually use encryption tools.

   If you are set on this idea, may I echo someone else's suggestion
   of an autoresponder to annoy those posting without signing?

I think this is a good idea which will help the communication intent
of the whole proposal.

   [...] we all still know who is not signing [...]

Having notification that a message wasn't signed was never presented
as one of the purposes of the proposal.

Eric

Thread