1994-11-24 - Re: (Fwd) Re: NSA seems to be lobbying against bank use of triple-DES

Header Data

From: storm@marlin.ssnet.com (Don Melvin)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypher Punks)
Message Hash: a8b56ee5031451005d135a08c5000d2665768cc0219ff2b10a7d376973762d95
Message ID: <9411241600.AA28461@marlin.ssnet.com>
Reply To: <199411231332.IAA11421@pipe1.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-24 16:02:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Nov 94 08:02:54 PST

Raw message

From: storm@marlin.ssnet.com (Don Melvin)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 94 08:02:54 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypher Punks)
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: NSA seems to be lobbying against bank use of triple-DES

> As for independent creation in Europe, there is a component to
> "real" hardware DES which is classified.

I'm read the entire DES specification, which, by the way says that DES
can ONLY be done in hardward, and there is nothing in it that is classified.

The docs covered the design, theory, and method of DES as well as the
testing procedures and required test set.

None of the docs were marked to prohibit export.
--
America - a country so rich and so strong we can reward the lazy
          and punish the productive and still survive (so far)

Don Melvin                  storm@ssnet.com                finger for PGP key.

Thread