1994-11-21 - Re: New Opportunity for Anonymous Reamilers

Header Data

From: “Dave Emery” <die@pig.die.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: beae1f9a2f6965d71d598dbecab67f436144755241371c9d2c1d4ff49ccd6d73
Message ID: <9411212102.AA29985@pig.die.com>
Reply To: <199411211912.LAA24697@netcom17.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-21 21:01:43 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 13:01:43 PST

Raw message

From: "Dave Emery" <die@pig.die.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 13:01:43 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: New Opportunity for Anonymous Reamilers

	Tim May writes:

> Several universities are taking steps to limit student and faculty
> access to the Internet. Carnegie-Mellon U. is limiting access to a
> number of newsgroups--and has said that students who attempt to
> circumvent the restrictions by using gopher and such, will be
> disciplined. McGill U., in Canada, is revising its code of behavior to
> allow random searches of student files, limits on access, etc.

	I guess I've been asleep.  What prey tell in any USENET group is
so evil that a university (bastion of free speech) should wish to censor
it ? I can understand high schools and especially middle schools
censoring some of the alt.sex crap, but what is there on USENET that is
not suitable for college age and older ? And why on earth should they
censor faculty/grad student access ? Aren't faculty/grad students
assumed to be highly responsible adults ?

	Hell, back in the late 60's when I was in school we actually had
a real for-credit course in pornographic literature offered ...  turns
out there is quite a serious literary tradition in this arena (DH
Lawrence, Henry Miller, Anias Nin etc).

	I guess this should mean some more business to my friends at
Pagesat, which broadcasts a completely uncensored real time feed of the
USENET over a small dish Ku band satellite link to all of North America.
And they are a real licensed common carrier (their principle business is
wide area paging services) so they can't be held responsible for the
contents of the traffic either.

						Dave Emery

Thread