1994-11-18 - Re: WWWing cypherpunks

Header Data

From: Ferguson <ecf@tenet.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c40b9b4ce587ad3e8e38fea77ff7416b2b3f8de8f629493bf7b15e6d69032115
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9411172250.A25176-0100000@Kay-Abernathy.tenet.edu>
Reply To: <199411180431.UAA00474@netcom18.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-18 05:02:49 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 21:02:49 PST

Raw message

From: Ferguson <ecf@tenet.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 21:02:49 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: WWWing cypherpunks

On Thu, 17 Nov 1994, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> It occured to me that a WWW browser could be used as a sophisticated
> newsreader like interface to a compiled mailing list, stored on a
> site. The site would archive the mailing list and index/organize
> the mail under author, time, subject, etc.
>
> I have written a lot of scripts to do WWW tasks and otehr mail parsing
> utilities. I would be willing to donate the programming time to this
> project if others were willing to donate the computing resources.

I have seen a system similar to this, but for gophering newsgroups.
(Maybe it's not that similar.) I believe it's called Mercury, and you can
find it at gopher://gopher.msu.edu:3441 It sorts the groups by threads
and date received, and you can choose which display you prefer.

Brad

Thread