1994-11-30 - Re: Transparent Email

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c74371976a65f00f48255a37eb56e0b396e4bd701d2fbc1d69aaa0e5deebf9bf
Message ID: <199411300818.AAA10539@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <199411291851.NAA13999@pipe2.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-30 07:19:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 23:19:13 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 23:19:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Transparent Email

   Does not everyone get a complete header like the one below from
   Eric's post with incoming mail?

Everyone gets it, but the better readers don't show it to the user.
Many people don't even know about those hidden headers, perhaps most.

   I had assumed that because every mail received here has such a
   header that everyone else could also see who sent my mail,
   signed or not.  That is why I have not signed my posts.

The Received: fields can be forged.  You can even forge your own with
the cypherpunks remailers and ##.

   BTW, Pipeline does not allow anonymously-sent direct mail -- as
   a take it or leave it policy.  So we cannot manipulate headers
   to forge from this Windows-driven end.

That's what the :: syntax was invented for, for folks who can't
manipulate headers in their systems.  The original purpose was for
Fidonet, and Tom Jennings, who couldn't use the remailers at the time.

What :: does is glue in the headers you want _at the receiving end_.
If your service passes message bodies with no harm, these soon-to-be
header fields will pass just fine.

Eric

Thread