1994-11-22 - Re: A Chance Encounter with Brad Templeton, of ClariNet

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@netcom.com>
Message Hash: dbf927b7543f325196a8a10eed0a06c056fea3a75053e5ac77d8d250b4902a32
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941121230554.11694A-100000@access1.digex.net>
Reply To: <199411220020.QAA08980@netcom6.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-22 04:11:44 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 20:11:44 PST

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 20:11:44 PST
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: A Chance Encounter with Brad Templeton, of ClariNet

On Mon, 21 Nov 1994, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Mark Terka, of Toronto, wrote:
>
> > Well, I think it will be the trigger hopefully generates more remailer's
> > in Europe. So far we only (since the evident demise of wein) have usura's
> > excellent
> > remailers in the Netherlands. It would be nice if more were placed overseas,
> > beyond the reach of U.S. pressure.
>
> More on why non-U.S. remailers are so important.
>
> Last Saturday night, after the Cypherpunks meeting and dinner, I was
> giving Colin Plumb (a Toronto person) a ride to the hotel he was
> staying at in Los Gatos. We stopped at a mega bookstore (Barnes and
> Noble, Santa Clara) and ran immediately into yet another Toronto
> person (ex, actually), Brad Templeton, well-known as the operator of
> ClariNet. (I've met Brad many times, but he still doesn't remember my
> name or what I do, which says something interesting about one of us.)
>
> Brad heard the word "Cypherpunks" and gave his views on things. I'll
> summarize in bullet form, as I lack the time to formulate his points
> in full paragraphs

[...]

> I debated not writing an "incident report" to you folks, being as how
> Brad is not on this list and is basically uninformed on the details of
> our remailers, but I feel that a "heads up" is warranted.

Perhaps a measure of the scope of our job.  Even the computer jock is
ignorant when it comes to cypher-education.

> (For one thing, the ECPA protects the mail, and allows the machine
> owner to adopt a "hands off" stance. For another, an "abused account"
> can simply and quickly be killed, with new ones taking its place!
> Think of the benefits.)

I'm not sure the ECPA provides the protection you want here.  I'll have
to look again, and do not assert this as certain, because I'm only
pulling of the top of my head what I remember from a quick scan of the
Steve Jackson Games opinion.

Anyone want to repost it?  I recall it limited the ECPA in some
interesting way, and I remember being offened, and not surprised at the
narrow reading.

> So, not a cause for panic, as he will probably do nothing. But just as
> Adm. Bobby Inman's comments give some insight into the position of the
> intelligence community, Brad Templeton's comments give insights into
> the coming battles over intellectual property.

Thanks for the contact report!

> --Tim May
>
> --
> Timothy C. May         | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,

[...]

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread