1994-11-23 - CID

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Message Hash: dc46ec1f905175a8502b8906ef41837b986556c629d17f0bc4b545151dbe0627
Message ID: <9411231828.AA12333@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <199411231734.JAA09591@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-23 18:28:30 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 10:28:30 PST

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 10:28:30 PST
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Subject: CID

anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com writes:
 > As I understand the whole SS-7/ANI/CID thing, CO generates the field
 > ("header") only when a previous one is not already present in the call.

ANI and CID are different, by the way.

 > Surprise: Your number!

The only way I can imagine this working is if the ultimate receiver of
the caller ID information is badly designed, and the diverter in
question is strangely designed to exploit those bad designs.  Caller
ID comes through between the first and second ring pulses.  Any Caller
ID box or modem that decides to recognize the modulated CID
information after the second ring pulse is, IMHO, broken.

The only place for your dreamed-of device or the diverter you
described to put the CID information is directly through the completed
circuit after the called party answers.  If they have a truly
brain-damaged caller ID box that only stores one number, and they fail
to look at the box before they pick up the phone, then *maybe* they'd
be fooled.  Doesn't sound like much "security" to me.

Do you really have access to one of these call diverters?  If so,
could you post the brand and model?

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread