1994-11-19 - Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

Header Data

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f219880e837484413f95f4ff75613ceb9b62785609402294626654efb8fc493d
Message ID: <aaf3d7720702100304df@[158.254.10.56]>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 08:45:44 PST

Raw message

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 08:45:44 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

At 7:49 PM 11/18/94, Timothy C. May wrote:

>I suppose some messages make use of it, as Eric Blossom's just did (in
>allowing retrieval of more stuff, somehow), but a lot of the
>"offending" messages just seem to be non-ASCII for the hell of it.

I presume you mean quoted-printable mail messages.  Some mail readers do do
this inappropriately, and some do it for reasons that may not seem
appropriate (like an initial line consisting of "From", to try and keep the
message content unmolested by Mail Transport agents.

>Like Lewis, I find myself to easily delete the message and move on.
>(I'm debating just deleting the messsages, which are marked "M" for
>Mime, before even starting to read them.)
>
>Personally, I like simple ASCII. No fancy fonts, no embedded graphics,
>no Quicktime movies I have to watch, etc.

Use the "setenv NOMETAMAIL" I mentioned earlier.  I thought you used Mac
Eudora, though.  That, at least in relatively recent versions, is very MIME
intelligent.  It changes the announcements into an Anarchie document and a
Eudora email message document to retrieve it by email.

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                               MIME, PGP, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra@post.drexel.edu                      PGP & RIPEM keys on key servers