1994-12-11 - Re: BofA+Netscape

Header Data

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
To: rfb@lehman.com
Message Hash: 05bcb0a0e1b23822dcbb154313f0d2bc80a26beed1b28b29bd41825557a82b36
Message ID: <9412111647.AA23311@tadpole.tadpole.com>
Reply To: <9412111550.AA29913@cfdevx1.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-11 16:48:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 08:48:32 PST

Raw message

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 08:48:32 PST
To: rfb@lehman.com
Subject: Re: BofA+Netscape

>     Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 00:51:46 -0500
>     From: Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
>
>     It's my personal feeling that Netscape doesn't have the right talent mix to
>     develop *any* Internet software, secure or not.
>
> Well, I can't and won't attempt to speak to the overall mix of talent,
> however I think that such a strong statement really needs to be
> accompanied by some sort of an explanation.

I'll throw in that from the perspective of someone running a server,
their approach of requesting all graphics simultaneously over
different sockets in the name of client performance is disastrous.
This causes most servers to fork N times more per page, where N is
the avg. # of graphics.  Not that this shouldn't eventually be dealt
with by some way to request the whole ball of wax in a single package,
but some have speculated that this was done deliberately in order
sabotage server software other than their own. (Their original
business model, as I understand it, was to give clients away for
free and sell server software.)

Also, their flip-flops on what they plan to charge for, and what
will be free... for instance, they initially lead folks to believe that
the client would be free, encouraging many to adopt it, only to find
out that later versions would only be free for a narrowly drawn group
of individuals. I have nothing against shareware/demoware, when it is
clearly labelled as such... this is just mildly slimy.

I will say though, that their Windows version crashes substantially
less than the NCSA one, which is increasingly my metric for stuff I
inflict on my users. Fortunately, there are a _lot_ of other commercial
options coming out that I can chose from on the basis of price,
performance, not crashing, trust in the developers' integrity, etc.

Doug

Thread