1994-12-28 - Re: Why I have a 512 bit PGP key

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 264de48afcb8dd735cd9f3a886fdbe000359311170a72ee2f73b00e2a2c8769c
Message ID: <199412280306.WAA25310@bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <199412280240.SAA02061@largo.remailer.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-28 03:06:49 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 19:06:49 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 19:06:49 PST
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: Why I have a 512 bit PGP key

Eric wrote:

|    From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
|
| re: personal account tripwire
|
|    The problem is that although you can protect the data file of
|    hashes (by using a pass phrase to encrypt it), protecting the
|    binary which does the checking is rather more difficult.
|
| Why not recompile the binary?  All it needs to be is something like
| md5.c.

	Or leave the binary on a floppy (assuming you can access
floppies, or some other removable media.)  The problem reduces pretty
quickly to a variant of trusting trust.  root can hack the kernel, the
math libraries, your shell, or several other points to make life
difficult.  Can you go through a set of steps so convoluted as to
catch this?  Probably.  But in all likelyhood, its easier to get a
personal machine on which to store private files.

Adam

						       -Hume

Thread