1994-12-16 - Dining Cryptographers test bed client for IRC

Header Data

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 268f83499d2ce368149e1a986ff036b86a0a3c6d941eb06cd3369c9659590f23
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941216163858.13730D-100000@thrash.src.umd.edu>
Reply To: <9412161623.AA23186@chaos.intercon.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-16 21:43:58 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 13:43:58 PST

Raw message

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 13:43:58 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Dining Cryptographers test bed client for IRC

I wrote up a short "test bed" for Dining Cryptographers over IRC (Internet
Relay Chat).  The implementation is not secure, as it uses PRIVMSGs to
exchange flips between neighbors, but some good soul with a bit of time
could go in and add DES encryption to them.

The client allows for anonymous roundtable discussion between clients on
a single IRC channel.  The key-sharing graph is a ring, so it only takes
two to collude to find what a particular person is sending, but that can
be expanded also.  There is no collision detection, but it is usually
pretty obvious (i.e. if you send something and don't get it back, you
know a collision happened).

I also included a paper which has some discussion and references to
making the DC implementation better, including things like protection
against attacks coming from the IRC server itself, protection against
someone sending stuff all the time disallowing service, etc.

This has all been put in the cypherpunks ftp incoming directory.

-Thomas

Thread