1994-12-15 - Re: FV & PGP (was Re: First Virtual email security)

Header Data

From: Ben <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2cec6b50e966ffbb2e12111858e6d67f0cd08ea8771efacc93f02174f09aef50
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941215125328.26066B-100000@jaguar.zoo.cs.yale.edu>
Reply To: <199412151717.MAA03516@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-15 17:55:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 09:55:55 PST

Raw message

From: Ben <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 09:55:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FV & PGP (was Re: First Virtual email security)

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, NetSurfer wrote:
> Without cryptography how exactly are you going to protect my credit card
> numbers from sniffer-snoopers and crackers?  Either you will send the
> credit card text in the clear, or it will be encrypted somehow.  Or perhaps
> you will have customers call you over the phone to give you their credit
> card info?

Like phone calls are really that secure what with people using cordless
and cellular phones that still transmit in the clear even with Congress'
best efforts to grant a false sense of security by outlawing some types
of scanners.

If you have to call, what would be the difference between this and normal
mail order save tha the catalog is digital?  That's not a significant
enough of a change to have it considered a new form of commerce.

Ben.
----
"By the end of 1648 all was over.  Cromwell was Dictator.  The Royalists
were crushed; Parliament was a tool;  the Constitution was a figment; the
Scots rebuffed, the Welsh back in their mountains; the Fleet was
reorganised, London overawed.  King Charles, at Carisbrooke Castle, where
the donkey treads the water wheel, was left to pay the bill.  It was mortal."
			--Winston Churchill
			--_History_of_English_Speaking_Peoples Vol. II

Thread