1994-12-13 - re: IPSP and Netscape

Header Data

From: John Giannandrea <jg@islay.mcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 322942b565ea291ae7f78f6ef374759f3cc8b7f481e241acf2fbf7950440a209
Message ID: <199412130551.VAA10080@islay.mcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 21:55:13 PST

Raw message

From: John Giannandrea <jg@islay.mcom.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 21:55:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: IPSP and Netscape

    Eric Hughes writes:
     > It may be that IPSP is not the quickest or best way to link security, but
     > that is not the point I am making here.  The original denial of IPSP's
     > potential utility was made in complete ignorance

Widespread acceptance of IPSP may well make SSL irrelevant.
I do not believe that anyone at Netscape is claiming otherwise.

Nonetheless, widespread implementation of IPSP simply does not exist
at this time.  We need a solution for our customers _today_.  SSL is
one working solution to the problem of link security.  By publishing
our specification of SSL we are inviting others to share in our work,
or criticize us for being foolish.

I do not believe that we are either arrogant nor ignorant in creating SSL.
The market will, of course, help decide.

-jg

Thread