1994-12-24 - Re: Breaking into girlfriend’s files

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: Jonathon Fletcher <jonathon.fletcher@psych.stir.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 3d8714b6cc5be65aa5782bc6f29568154d32622632a5d6613d0fe5b0aa41a445
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9412240055.A24470-0100000@netcom10>
Reply To: <9412240641.AA23806@oss.stir.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-24 08:12:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 00:12:25 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 00:12:25 PST
To: Jonathon Fletcher <jonathon.fletcher@psych.stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Sat, 24 Dec 1994, Jonathon Fletcher wrote:

>   It seems a little strange that cypherpunks are arguing over whether or
> not to disclose information about a (supposedly) cryptographic product
> to a certain individual.

The criticism was that the proposed use of the knowledge was wrong
-- not that the knowledge was wrong.

Then there was a larger debate -- is morality a threat to liberty,
or is coercion the only serious threat to liberty.

Now if you are eighteen or so, or if you have retarded emotional
development, the fact that it is real hard to get laid may seem
positive and powerful proof that morality is indeed a grave threat
to liberty.

But of course the fact that it is real hard to get laid is a result
of sociobiology, not of cultural values and morality.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread