1994-12-15 - 1984 T-shirt news

Header Data

From: jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu
Message Hash: 3e6d39629c9f75ff361922629da53b391fab4f23758942893e0233267ffd9f51
Message ID: <9412150445.AA08615@nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 20:40:53 PST

Raw message

From: jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 20:40:53 PST
Subject: 1984 T-shirt news

More news about the 1984 NSA Shirt:

A while ago, David Morrison, of the National Journal (a weekly political
commentary journal) contacted me about the 1984 shirt.  It turns out
somebody else had been wearing one around the office, and he liked the
design.  He bought one from me, and asked me to send him some information
about the issue clipper issue.  I packed up a shirt, printed out various
articles on both sides of the clipper issue (mostly from the cp archive)
wrote up a short summary of each, and included a bit of my own views on
the issue.  I also included a copy of Tim May's FAQ on a 3.5 inch disk.

At any rate, yesterday in the mail I received two copies of the Dec. 10,
1994 National Journal.  On p. 2883 (the very first non-advertising page),
at the bottom, a box contained a picture of the shirt, w/ the headline
"Looks Like a Cheap Chip Shot."  The brief text reads:

More on the "Clipper" chip, the eavesdroppable encryption key pushed by
the National Security Agency: Hearing an NSA spook jest that Big Brother
was running 10 years behind schedule, John. D. Blair of Cypherpunks, an
anarcho-libertarian Internet group--designed the eye-catching T-shirt at
left.  "My feelings about its illegitimacy are pretty strong," said
Blair, who has sold 250 of the anti-chip shirts on the Net.  NSA chief
counsel Stewart A. Baker raps Clipper criticism as "the long delayed
revenge of people who couldn't go to Woodstock because they had too much
trig homework."

I don't think the NSA spook part is fair to Kenneth Olthaff, the spook
that inspired the shirt.  Too bad he didn't include my e-mail address, as
well ;)

Seriously, though, I've found the shirt has been a good way to get people
talking about Clipper, and related issues, here at super-conservative,
very pro establishment Miami University (oxford, OH).  Its created some
inquiry where people had no idea there was even anything to inquire about
(or have even heard of the NSA in the first place).

If any of you want to resell them, e-mail me and we can work out a deal
that makes it worth your time, as well as spread the word about Clipper.

The crude web page is still in place with basic info at:
http://nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu/t-shirt

later,
- -john.

John Blair: <jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu>         voice: (513) 529-3980
http://nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu/~jdblair             85 81 F8 16 12 97 4C 68
Unix System Administrator, Juggler                 A1 A0 40 95 BF 03 60 E1
Student of Interdisciplinary Studies               (finger me for PGP key)

Thread