1994-12-12 - Crypto Declaration of Independance

Header Data

From: nobody@jpunix.com (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3e836bebbf80a10a334ae600e6531479727863bc7f603ea0ece07029819e9088
Message ID: <199412120906.DAA09468@jpunix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 01:08:10 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@jpunix.com (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 01:08:10 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto Declaration of Independance

I have a proposal for you all.

I have started work on a Crypto Declaration of Independence, based on the
famous American work which represents Independence. With the incoming
batch of Congress and the new year approaching, I think that it's time
we assert what we believe in.  We need to let people know what we stand
for, and why we think it's a good idea. And with the (quasi)-recent
passage of the DigiTel proposal and Freeh's comments about banning
encryption, we need to wake people up.

However, asserting this to ourselves again would be akin to holding a
one-person conference.  We have rehashed these points amongst ourselves
many times.  Therefore, I propose that we spend some time revising this
work, based off the writing I will post if there is support for this idea,
then sign it, and email, fax and mail it to our respective news agencies,
government officials and interest groups.  However, without your support,
this endeavor would be fruitless.  Before I post the "beta version"/first
draft of the CDoI (for lack of a better term), I want to know if you (the
C'punks) will support it and help me.

Overall, I'm looking for answers to four questions:
1) Will you support and help this endeavor.

2) A target date for sending it out.
     First idea which came to mind: Jan 1st, 1995

3) A list of groups/people which should receive it.
     Government officials, news agencies, HOTtired, CPSR, EFF, ACLU, etc

   and along with #3:
4) Ways for bringing it to people's attention.

I intend to keep myself anonymous during this process, so please contact me
by leaving a message on this list, or mailing everything within these
cutmarks to remailer@jpunix.com:

        -- CUTMARK ( do not include )--

::
Encrypted: PGP

- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

hIwD/nqSW1QDQfUBA/wI+tSk7CWd5u2dMywjv6oLosg3nm5ki/p8HhOg7VXHDk0S
6MpptLzWzUtkvL+EZEBS7NHORSTNRbo0K/Uvqgl0Rqaqig5Wx6i2VKve3ky9/Kbm
I72casRMcyoBka+cOtKdU5JBVXF/YDWmCb3usnvAu0oDZGxBstTaTPgpJzMiV6YA
AACTszK/wRKedt58GVDLQs7gNNUUyIxbKtUQNQGss2sbM7AZE0kaQ7B6Z1VXJy0t
NKYzUQfk5LEJ1ko9ZbvDSgAWzTnZbmyfSszrpHpRN7ehFhgRCVf4YToMQa5eSOAg
CHxmBMq01kDqIntHXZpWquU31+rfpPNNAT9pFHiYAj7biIRA3LWIRwvmy30j+QEv
DaMODrdo
=xtpD
- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

< please put your message to me here>

        -- CUTMARK ( do not include ) --

I hope you will support me, and I will welcome any and all comments
and criticism.

     Asynchronous

Thread