1994-12-02 - Mighty morphing power cypherpunks

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 429bb5f5a96b2caa622aff71f4436abbade21b3c2bb70c145e695dc2d000b0b3
Message ID: <199412020315.TAA20817@netcom8.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199412020320.TAA14480@largo.remailer.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-02 03:15:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 19:15:19 PST

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 19:15:19 PST
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Mighty morphing power cypherpunks

Eric Hughes writes
> At first, only syntax checking.  The problems of key distribution
> prevent otherwise.

So autonag every nym to send a public key in.

Every email has its nym checked.  No key for that nym, auto nag
Discrepant signature, flag.   No signature, autonag.

This would be actually useful.  It provides a benefit, thus
demonstrating the usefulness of crypto, and would achieve
the goals that you desire (get us to sign our stuff) without
making us look like seven year olds.

What you are proposing provides no benefit.  It is crypto for
the sake of crypto.  This makes us look like kids in
mighty-morphing-power-ranger suits, playing with captain
Krunch secret decoder key rings.

A check on syntax without semantics looks pathetic, in the
same way, and for the same reasons, as a captain Krunch
secret decoder ring.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@acm.org

Thread