1994-12-20 - Re: HTTP redirectors

Header Data

From: Andrew Lowenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: 72cfdb3dad987d209c11d3f07b5843b63fe9c2a421feb362f5faf4073095e0b8
Message ID: <9412202303.AA04253@ch1d157nwk>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 15:03:51 PST

Raw message

From: Andrew Lowenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 15:03:51 PST
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: HTTP redirectors

>  However, running this kind of local proxy or a general chaining
>  proxy does require root access.  Most systems will not let you
>  create a low-numbered socket unless you are root.  So this is not
>  something which people will be able to do from their user
>  accounts.

Normally a URL can specify an alternate port as well (of course).  A common
one is http://site.org:8080/dir/file.html...   This gets around setting up
the proxy without a privileged account.  The only web browser I'm familiar
with (OmniWeb for NeXTSTEP) also allows you to specify the port number for
the proxy.  I was under the impression that all browsers supported alternate
port numbers for proxies since they are commonly used for URLs...  Do Mosiac
and Netscape allow specifying the port for proxy servers?

andrew

Thread