1994-12-11 - Real-time surveillance of the police

Header Data

From: crawford@scruznet.com (Michael D. Crawford)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 79b820c37b70c6e7e7b4ced0ed39b1e92e3e5c93df5d7c2a0a0e8081db6f5311
Message ID: <199412112144.NAA09211@scruz.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 13:44:38 PST

Raw message

From: crawford@scruznet.com (Michael D. Crawford)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 13:44:38 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Real-time surveillance of the police

In the December '94 issue of Wired, ("Watching the Detectives", p. 141),
Sandy Sanfort describes Bob Fleming's work to make real-time permanent
recordings of the body positions of police officers.

One could place a small sensor on each wrist and ankle, and record the
positions (and velocities) of the cops body to with a _centimeter_,
anywhere in a city.

The advantage for cops is that a fallen officer can be quickly located, and
a cop's claim to have witnessed an event can be corroborated by
demonstrating that he was actually there.

The advantage for society is that the cop's behaviour, such as billy-club
swinging velocity, can be monitored. It could detectgunfire, too, by
measuring the kick that is transmitted down the cop's wrist. This would
work to the extent that the equipment is actually mounted on the cop it
claims to belong to, so some manner of authentication would be needed.

Also discussed is the idea of car or helmet mounted cameras, transmitting
images continuously, to be stored by a neutral third-party, in the event of
a legal challenge, either from the accused claiming that the cop is lying,
or of claims of police brutality.

After the Rodney King incident, I had the notion, (which I did not act on
to actually promote, I'm sorry to say), that organizations representing
people that feel persecuted by the law could issue disposable cameras to
all there members. For example, if a street gang felt the cops were
thumping their members with unwarranted enthusiasm, the gang could purchase
a case of cameras at the local Price Club, and everyone could carry them to
photograph the cops. In addition, cameras could be unobtrusively mounted on
car hoods, perhaps with three or four such cameras multiplexing their
images onto a single videotape (one wants a wide, but not necessarily tall
aspect ratio; three such cameras with fisheye lenses could cover the hole
perimer of a car). The VCR would be in a fireproof safe welded to the car
frame (or use a surplus flight recorder package), so it would take extra
effort for a cop to conceal the evidence of wrongdoing after mistreating
the driver. It would also be handy for assigning responsibility in traffic
accidents.

Yes, that's right - keep surveillance cameras going on _yourself_. If
you're not doing anything illegal, you've got nothing to fear from taping
everything you do.

Of course, after the difficulty the City of Santa Cruz had in establishing
a Police Review commission, and considering that its powers were
eviscerated in light of a lawsuit threat by a police union, I expect that
it will be difficult to convince our Nation's Finest to adopt this new
technology - though I'm sure they'd be happy to apply it to parolees and
those serving on probation. Adoption could be initially achieved, though,
by pointing out to private security firms that their liability could be
reduced by monitoring their employees - obvious slackers could be
immediately fired, troublesome guards could be disciplined, and the firm
could demonstrate in court that the guard was nowhere near the scene when
the plaintiff claimed to have been beaten by a guard. Private security
guards have nowhere near the influence that police unions do, and so would
have little power in arguing against it. Later on, cities faced with
expensive lawsuits could strike a deal with the liability insurance
companies to save money if the city cops use this stuff.

After the DT fiasco, and the mention yesterday of the DOJ's new Big Brother
Database, I thought you'd like to hear that someone's working on giving Big
Bro the stick too. I personally feel that a society that _needed_ to do
this to its cops is an abhorrent society. But perhaps we could strike a
deal with Big Bro - if you don't tap our phones, we won't pass laws to tap
your cops.

Best Wishes in this Holiday Season,

Michael D. Crawford
crawford@scruznet.com     <- Please note change of address.