1994-12-28 - Re: Why I have a 512 bit PGP key

Header Data

From: “Ian Farquhar” <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7a64a552872823032b6e202577c0fc2d65b79b4e4834b6e6658bf815f4878ffe
Message ID: <9412281256.ZM11042@wiley.sydney.sgi.com>
Reply To: <9412232039.AA03986@merckx.info.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-28 02:08:12 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 18:08:12 PST

Raw message

From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 18:08:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why I have a 512 bit PGP key

On Dec 23,  3:39pm, Matt Blaze wrote:
> essential services for me like taking backups.  This means that, no
> matter how hard I try, it's impossible for me to be sure that none of
> my files have been tampered with.

Some time ago I looked at tripwire, and wondered if a personal version
could be produced which would allow a similar function to be performed on a
system which had a hostile sysadmin (a position I was in a few years ago,
and it's not pleasant).

The problem is that although you can protect the data file of hashes (by using
a pass phrase to encrypt it), protecting the binary which does the checking
is rather more difficult.  Sure, you can checksum it and lock that checksum
in the encoded file, but a hostile attacker could make the self-check a
special case which always returns good, and then snaffle the pass phrase.
Once they had the pass phrase, the protection is dead.

Over lunch (ie. warning, not a lot of thought given to this :), I wondered
if you could do something like this:

Have a simple bootstrap loader, and the encrypted main program.  The
bootstrap loader asks for the pass phrase, and decrypts the main program
and runs it.  The main program checks the loader for modification, and
if there is a problem, refuses to go further with a indication to the
original account owner (eg. overwrite the main program with one which
simply prints "Main prog hacked at <date/time>".  If all is well, the main
program asks for a further pass phrase to the data file, and goes off to
check all of the files in the listed areas (for the moment, the details of
how it does that is not particularly relevant - all I am concerned about in
this post is the protection of the binary).

Obvious Attacks:

1. Attack the main program.  You can't, because it is encrypted (presumably
   with some sort of hash in there too), and so you can only trash it.

2. Attack the loader.  This is possible, because it is in plaintext form.

   Dangers:

   a. The attacker may get your pass phrase.  However, when the main
      program then sums the original loader, it will notice that
      it had changed and won't go further.  Your pass phrase for the
      main program has been compromised, but the data file remains ok.
   b. The attacker may get a copy of the main program.  That's fine,
      because the main program won't run (see above), and the user
      will be warned.
   c. (The main danger).  The loader program loads the main program,
      but before copying itself back it replaces the trojan version
      with the original image (possibly even resetting the timestamp on
      the file).  This is a problem.

3. Attack the datafile.  Same a (1), really.

4. Attack the running image.

Both 2(c) and 4 are the main problems.  Using gcore or procfs the malicious
system admin can grab a running copy of the binary, and do what they like.
There are many tricks to avoiding the danger of 4 (which applies to all
crypto code running on hostile systems), but all are just that: tricks.
They can be overcome given enough time and motivation.

But 2(c) is the hassle, as there is no obvious way around this, and it is
quite easy to do.

Anyone got any good ideas?  I have a lurking suspicion that there are no
solutions to this problem, and we're down to the same issue of securing
the transport system which delivers a binary (which is not possible in
this case).

Just an interesting diversion over a very boring lunch....

							Ian.

Thread