1994-12-02 - Re: Tim May is RIGHT!!!

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7a80594968d788c2f4e787f99d78a6c256588c2bab5514848cf182a3412da20b
Message ID: <199412020727.XAA16893@netcom7.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199412020705.XAA07308@zero.c2.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-02 07:26:42 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 23:26:42 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 23:26:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Tim May is RIGHT!!!

(Not Very) Anonymous User wrote:

> I'm sorry I can't say so under my real name, but I
> *vehemently agree* with Tim May about the authoritarian,
> heavy handed, generally outrageous egotism of Eric
> Hughes of recent. This is REALLY UPSETTING. Eric should
> be ASHAMED OF HIMSELF for strutting around like a
> peacock. he is EMBODYING THE DICTATORIAL APPROACH HE
> CLAIMS TO DEFY VIA CYPHERPUNK PHILOSOPHY. this is
> truly the most HYPOCRITICAL AND EGOMANIACAL action I
> have seen by anyone in recent times on this list.

Note that I have made no such claims. While I don't like the sound of
the proposal, for various reasons, and while I didn't care for the "If
Eric says it is so, then it is so" sycophancy, I can't find any
evidence that Eric was strutting around like a peacock, etc.

> Tim May will leave the list? GOOD FOR YOU, TIM. Get
> the hell out of here. Eric Hughes may have had some

This is unlikely, as it sounds like the worst-case version of the
proposal has been shelved.

I happen to think that this "flame war," as some have characterizied
it, has made more apparent the difficulties many on the list (perhaps
most, as the Silent Majority is probably not in a better position, it
seems to me) have in routinely signing posts. I like the "under oath"
points Mike Duvos made today.

Rishab suggested we should talk about other things. Well, nothing is
stopping folks from doint so. I take the heated debate about this
"sign or else" to be a sign of health; at least some topics can still
generate furious debate.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Cypherpunks list: majordomo@toad.com with body message of only: