1994-12-15 - Re: Question for remailer operators

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7e7d198df898c3aa75eeca6e96f9a60cc445611e5f97e63b67c4cbc0fb0d47e8
Message ID: <199412151608.IAA00109@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Reply To: <199412151145.AA14916@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-15 16:08:42 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 08:08:42 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 08:08:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Question for remailer operators

I see about 200 messages a day through my remailer, sizes averaging a
couple of K.  I had the impression at one point that the VAST majority of
this was "cover" traffic that someone is generating just to keep the
network busy.  I don't know if this is still the case.  It might be
possible to opt out of the cover traffic generator to reduce your load
to a politically manageable level.  Maybe people generating cover traffic
could estimate how many messages they are generating.

My remailer is a little unusual as the alumni.caltech.edu remailer always
feeds into this one, so this may represent two remailers' worth of
traffic.

Hal

Thread