1994-12-12 - Re: Broadcasts - addressing

Header Data

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
To: adam@bwh.harvard.edu (Adam Shostack)
Message Hash: 7ead9011c846ff8abf56332240a4dcc6ba25853201d4c31c0cd7d38871ece94b
Message ID: <9412122304.AA10973@tadpole.tadpole.com>
Reply To: <199412122127.QAA21293@bwnmr5.bwh.harvard.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-12 23:05:34 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 15:05:34 PST

Raw message

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 15:05:34 PST
To: adam@bwh.harvard.edu (Adam Shostack)
Subject: Re: Broadcasts - addressing

> | I have been contemplating how to mark broadcast messages as being
> | 'for' someone. To foil traffic analysis, you don't want to include
> | their nym or key-id, for the sake of the your poor CPU, you want to
> | avoid the need to attempt decryption on everything that passes through.
>
> 	Keys are cheap.  Everyone should have a bunch.  To foil
> TA, hand out a key to each correspondant.  Give them id's like
> 'latex.limb.malaise <alt.anonymous.mesages>'

Yes, but any set of messages sent under a particular key are
linked for purposes of traffic analysis. You would need to hand
out (potentially) a key per message, or stacks of keys. At
which point, you're doing something very similar to what I
suggested. I personally think that it would be easier to manage
fewer keys and use something very simple (like a large random
number) for message tagging, but this is just me.

Doug

Thread