1994-12-17 - Re: properties of FV

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 90ccd4323ae4af888decbf1d5b7a10ff5a481a26555a14214cf31678faef2d2e
Message ID: <EiwjNLT0Eyt545hZsn@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <17932.787530924.1@nsb.fv.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-17 14:33:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Dec 94 06:33:13 PST

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 94 06:33:13 PST
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: properties of FV

Excerpts from fv: 15-Dec-94 Re: properties of FV Eric
Hughes@remailer.net (3122)

>    > Use
>    > the crypto entirely for transit security.  If someone hacks your
>    > machine and grabs your passphrase and forges a transaction, at least
>    > the intruder has to grab your passphrase.

>    This is exactly the way we would expect to use crypto layered on top of
>    First Virtual's protocols, if and when such cryptographic protocols are
>    deployed widely enough to have penetrated af meaningful portion of our
>    market.

> "If and When" is Yes and Today.  Anybody who can autosign their
> outgoing mail can participate in this kind of transaction already.
> Assuming the above agreement is made with respect to private keys,
> there is _no_ risk to the customer about loss of secret keys, and no
> greater risk to the merchant than what currently obtains.

The risk analysis is absolutely true.  However, I have the impression
you missed the phrase "deployed widely enough to have penetrated a
meaningful portion of our market".  I suspect that the cypherbunks and
www-buyinfo communities are not the best place to get a feel for the
extent to which crypto is widely deployed.  Pick some random other list
or newsgroup, however, and I'll be surprised if you find 1% market
penetration for crypto.

Thread